The Dam is a canopied lock in the centre of Edam. Although Emperor Charles V had already ordered its construction in 1544, the Dam Lock was not built until 1569.

On the east side, the suspension for the lock gates can still be seen and in the south quay wall, the coat of arms of the "Hoogheemraadschap van de Uitwaterende sluizen in Kennemerland en West-Friesland" (now Noordhollands Noorder Kwartier). Opposite them are the arms of the dike grave and the high water boards from 1701, who were entrusted with the maintenance of the lock since that year. The coat of arms stones recall the various renewals.

Take a closer look

Nearby

Skip map elements