Information panel | Beemster Gate | Beemsterburgwal
The Beemster Gate was the fifth and last town gate built around Purmerend.
The first four gates were built after obtaining city rights in 1410. The need for a fifth gate presented itself after the reclamation of De Beemster in 1612. A simple wooden gate was built on the bridge from the city to the newly acquired land: The Beemster Gate. When De Beemster was dry and the roads passable, people used this route to move towards Oosthuizen and Hoorn. As a result, the access road via the Hoornsche Poort was hardly used anymore.
During a period of peace, the city walls and city gates became redundant as defence works. Should an enemy still come, the drawbridges could be used to protect the town. Between 1830 and 1840, all gates in Purmerend, except the Amsterdamsche Poort, were demolished. Check out the information panel for more information.