The first building outside the city walls of Purmerend was built around 1900. The impressive mansions on the Herengracht and Emmakade are still here today.
A brand new post office was also built. The bridge that connects this neighborhood with the city center was therefore called the Post Bridge. The post office has not been in use for many years, but the name of the bridge has stuck.