Weigh-bridge

The beautifully restored weigh-bridge was built in the summer of 1952 by the Cooperative Sugar Factory, 'Puttershoek' to weigh sugar beet. Sugar beet grown in De Beemster was loaded onto farm vehicles, weight on the weigh bridge and then transported to the where it was unloaded onto a ship that took the beet to the sugar factory in Halfweg.

In 1954 a cooperative of farmers from the area, took over the weigh bridge. Until 2002, all manner of agricultural products was weighed on the weigh bridge. After 2002, the weigh bridge was no longer calibrated and fell into disrepair.

After restoration, the weigh bridge can weigh again, but no longer for the agricultural sector. Its weighing capacity of maximum 25 tons is too low for that.

The weigh bridge is of interest not only from a tourist point of view, but also for the inhabitants of the surrounding area. The weigh bridge and its operation can be included in school curricula.

Sharing

Contact

Weigh-bridge
Jisperweg 144
1464 NL WESTBEEMSTER

Phone number information: 06 53133163

Opening hours

Open daily.